I know, I know it’s not that easy to live a healthy lifestyle, especially during working days. Most of the time we are stressed and don’t find time to treat our body the right way. It’s easier and time-saving to fastly eat an instant soup in front of the Computer instead of preparing a healthy meal or going to a restaurant. At the end of the day we are so tired and just want to eat and going straight to bed, certainly not going to the gym or doing some workout exercises! Who feels me?
After my studies this autumn I started an internship (working 100% for the first time in my life). Since my working-place is not very close to my home, but about 1.5 hours a way away, I’m never at home before 7pm. At the beginning I was little overstrained with the whole situation! In the noon I oftly didn’t eat a lot since I was always on the run and in the evening I needed of course something solid, like Pasta or Pizza! As you can see not healty at all. And of course I also didn’t go to the gym anymore, since I was dead at the end of the day. The study times of healthy smoothies and 4x workout sessions a week were definitely over!
But now, almost 3/4 year later, I learned how to manage this situation. Here are some of my tips:
- Equip yourself at the office with the following: Cutlery, plate, a cup and mini spice like salt and peper.
- I try to prepare my meal in the evening before. It doesn’t have to be something difficult, just cutting some tomatoes and mozzarella or making a yummi and healthy sandwich or a salad.
- Nowadays there are a lot of takeaways, which offer a range of freshly prepared meals, salads or muesli with fresh fruits. So if I don’t have time to prepare something at home I eat things like: steamed vegetables (the takeaway also offers oil, vinegar, salt and pepper to flavor the salads or vegetables, otherwise you may have some basic spicery at the office) or muesli or salad.
- Instead of buying a-ready-to-eat sandwich I buy some cold meat, cheese, tomatos and bread (whole-grain bread, no white bread) and I make my own healthy sandwich, without any mayo or tons of butter. Another possibility: when my appetite is not too big I buy a carrot, cucumber and fennel and I eat them like a dip with some creme fraiche.
- Try to avoid convenience food! You can’t imagine how many preservatives are hidden in this kinda food and let’s be honest, it also tastes awful.
- It’s all about water: Fill every morning a one litre bottle with water and try to drink two of them. You automatically drink more if you have such a bottle next to you, as if you have a small glass, which you have to fill about 20 times a day. Sometimes I also make some water with fresh lemon juice or hot water with ginger and mint.
- Instead of drinking couple of coffees, try to limit it to one or two cups a day and drink instead a green-or black tea (without sugar of course, believe me it’s only a matter of habit).
- Try to eat two or three portion of fruits a day. I’m eating these fruits almost every day: an orange, an apple and passionfruit or Grapefruit or a banana.
- You may heard it about a million times, but try to take the stairs as often as possible instead of the aviator. Especially if you don’t have a lot of time to workout! Taking the stairs will compensate it a bit.
- If you have an evening off, meaning no meetings oder dinner with friends, do 30 minutes of workout at home. Just watch some YouTube videos, there are plenty of different and very good workout videos there!